Boomer Naturals has aspired to be an integral part of the Las Vegas community since its inception in 2019. Whether that meant welcoming you into our store with a smile, cheering alongside you at a Vegas Golden Knights game, or heading into the community to fill needs where we see them, we love the Las Vegas Community and our Boomer Naturals family nationwide.
When the coronavirus pandemic hit Las Vegas, many feared that we would not be able to make a swift recovery as this city of desert dwellers has long been a transient town that relies upon the tourists’ ability to stay and play awhile.
Thankfully in 2021, we’re making progress. Slowly but surely, parks and casinos are opening the doors (proverbial and physical), tourists and locals alike are coming out in droves to soak up spring and all the valley has to offer.
According to the CDC, as vaccine distribution ramps up locally and nationwide, one in six adults have already been vaccinated for COVID-19. This is excellent news for people relying on the tourism industry to reawaken. With incoming flights at McCarran International averaging 3,400 flights per week, we’re counting on our treasured tourists to maintain social distancing and practice COVID-19 safety protocols at all times. We’re beyond excited to welcome you back; while you’re here, check out some superb face coverings from yours truly!
Big Changes for Little Faces
What about the locals, and most importantly, what about the children? There is no denying that this pandemic has had a considerable effect on this generation of children, and we are so thrilled that they are able to get back into school and socialize with their teachers and friends in person. This school year has looked nothing like any in the past. With online classrooms, recess alone, and no peers in sight, our kiddos have been excited to go back to school like never before.
Pack up your backpacks, lunch boxes, and pencil cases because we’re going back to school! A new addition to the back-to-school checklist is face coverings. We may not think of this pesky personal protective equipment device as a luxury but to many, access to a clean, protective face covering every day is out of reach.
This led to us here at Boomer Naturals partnering with a few local Las Vegas Title I elementary and middle schools to provide free face coverings to those students in need. As defined by the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, Title I provides financial assistance to local schools with high numbers of children from low-income families. According to the U.S Department of Education, more than 55,906 public schools across the country used Title I funds to provide additional academic support and learning opportunities to help low-achieving children in 2015. This was well before the coronavirus pandemic’s devastation, and the need for Title I funding has undoubtedly increased.
When we learned that local teachers were buying face coverings for their classrooms so that their kids wouldn’t have to wear dirty or broken PPE, we knew we had to be involved. What started as a simple phone call to one out-of-this-world school principal, Dr. Lenette Reece of Richard Rundle Elementary School in East Las Vegas, turned into a day full of love and support for our littlest community members.
We were so honored to have had the opportunity to visit with and donate to four local elementary schools and two well-deserving middle schools, all of which are full of staff members eager to open the doors and welcome back some of their students in just two short weeks. All in all, Boomer Naturals was able to donate over 2,000 face covers in just one day.
How to Give Back
While it may seem like you’re unable to do something for your community as an individual, that is simply not the case. You don’t need the backing of a company to support the good you feel inside. There are plenty of ways you can give back to your local community today.
- Shop locally and support small businesses.
- When you shop locally, you’re not only supporting that business, but you’re inadvertently putting money back into the community. You’re helping that business owner’s kids’ soccer team and their vendors as well.
- Donate your gently used clothing items to a local charity or shelter.
- Many thrift stores count on donations to their stores to provide clothing at a low cost to those in their community who cannot shop for new clothes and necessities.
- Volunteer your time at an animal shelter.
- Often forgotten, there are so many animals in our local shelters, less than usual right now, which is likely the only good that has come from the COVID-19 pandemic. Taking the time to visit with them to give them a break from their kennels can mean the world to an overactive puppy or a forlorn senior pet. By showing up for the animals, you’re also showing the people who work tirelessly for them that they are seen and appreciated as well.
- Plant a tree.
- As air pollution rises in our major cities, trees are becoming more and more critical. When we plant trees, we’re decreasing the toxins in our atmosphere. Not to mention that trees are beautiful, and all communities can benefit from a bit of beautification.
- Volunteer at a senior living facility or school.
- Getting involved and giving back to your community can be as easy as having coffee with a group of seniors at a nursing home or reading to students at school. Being a dependable volunteer for the people in these facilities can make them feel valued and appreciated rather than forgotten about as they sometimes are.
There are innumerable benefits to getting more involved in your community, both physical and mental. Giving to others is known to boost good-feeling hormones in our brains and can even improve our self-esteem. Not only does volunteering and giving provide health benefits, but it can also give people a sense of purpose and community.
We would like to go a step further and continue the giving, this time handing the reins over to you, our Boomer Naturals family. No matter where your community is in the U.S, we’d love to give you the ability to donate face coverings to a school in need near you. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to nominate a deserving elementary or middle school. We are accepting nominations until April 26th, 2021.